We are reader supported. This post contains affiliate links and we will be compensated if you make a purchase after clicking on our links, at no cost to you.
Have you ever heard the saying: ‘you are what you eat?
Although this well-known phrase was first uttered by a French lawyer called Anthelme Brillat-Savarin way back in 1826, it’s a saying that’s certainly stood the test of time.
But it doesn’t just apply to us humans – it also applies to our furry friends. You see, if we provide our dogs with a diet that has a low nutritional value and includes poor quality ingredients, then it goes without saying that our dogs will suffer as a result.
On the other hand, if we make sure our dogs are fed with dog food that’s proven to be good quality and nutritionally well-balanced, then we’re giving our best friend the very best chance to live a long, happy and healthy life.
But when it comes to food, what’s the best dry dog food for Cairn Terriers? Let’s take a closer look…
Best Dog Food for Cairn Terriers
Before we jump into our Cairn Terrier dry food buying guide, let’s first explore a couple of important points regarding the Cairn Terrier’s specific health and dietary needs.
It’s well worth keeping these points in mind when making your final decision about the best food for Cairn Terriers:
Cairn Terriers can be Prone to Obesity
Obesity is a serious and significant health risk for all dog breeds, not just Cairn Terriers. Selecting a healthy and nutritionally balanced food that’s well suited to the needs of your Cairn and weighing out their daily food portions will help prevent the potential risk of obesity.
Cairn Terriers can be Susceptible to Food Allergies
Many different dog breeds can be susceptible to food allergies. While the Cairn Terrier is one such breed, it’s by no means a given that your Cairn will develop a food allergy.
That said, if your Cairn Terrier displays any of the following signs or symptoms without an obvious cause, it may be an early indicator of a potential food allergy. In which case, a trip to the vet will be required:
- Dry/itchy skin or skin infections
- Ear infections
- Excessive licking or scratching
- Sickness and vomiting
Some of the most common ingredients to trigger food allergies in Cairn Terriers include:
Cairns need to be Fed Twice a Day
Having an empty stomach isn’t a good thing for a Cairn Terrier. In fact, an empty tummy may result in your Cairn vomiting. The best way to prevent this is to feed your Cairn two meals a day. Feeding your Cairn in the morning and again in the afternoon/evening should do just the trick.
Your Cairn’s Food Must always Meet AAFCO Standards
Any reputable dog food should meet the nutritional standards set out by the Association of American Feed Control Officials. If it doesn’t, then it’s not a wise food choice for your Cairn.
Best Dry Dog Food for Cairn Terriers
For adult dogs diagnosed with skin or stomach issues, the Purina Pro Plan Adult Sensitive Formula could be just the food you’re looking for.
Purina’s Pro Plan dry dog food is not only free of corn, soy, and wheat (making it an ideal option for any Cairn Terrier owners out there), but it’s also available to buy in four different sizes: 5lb, 16lb, 30lb, and 40lb.
- The Pro Plan Formula kibble is the ideal size for smaller dogs and makes it easier to digest if they have particularly sensitive stomachs
- With the main protein ingredient being salmon, the Purina Pro Plan dry dog food works wonders for your dog’s skin and coat, leaving it looking super shiny while also reducing any itching and shedding
- This food has a slightly higher fat content than some other dry dog foods, which may lead to your dog having more flatulence or possibly gaining weight
The High Prairie Grain-Free range is Taste of the Wild’s best seller. And with no sign of grain, corn, wheat, filler, artificial flavors, colors, or preservatives to be found anywhere on its AAFCO-approved food label, this dry dog food is an excellent choice for Cairn Terriers that may be susceptible to potential food allergies.
Taste of the Wild High Prairie Grain-Free Dry Dog Food is also available in three different sizes: 5lb, 14lb, and 28lb – so there’s plenty of choices depending on your dog food budget.
- The High Prairie Grain-Free range visibly improves the condition of your Cairn’s skin and coat while helping to reduce shedding
- Excellent quality food that leaves your dog feeling clearly satisfied after eating
- It can cause some dog breeds to have slightly softer stools
Available to buy as a 4lb, 15.5lb, or 30lb bag, Hill’s Science Diet Adult Sensitive Stomach & Skin Chicken Recipe Dry Dog Food not only meets AAFCO nutritional standards, but it also comes highly recommended by vets.
- Hill’s Science Diet dry dog food contains prebiotic fibers and essential vitamins and amino acids that leave your dog’s skin and coat looking and feeling super healthy and shiny
- It doesn’t matter how old your dog is because Hill’s Science Diet dry dog food will significantly help to improve or completely clear up any sensitive stomach issues that younger adults or more senior dogs may be having
- The smaller kibble formula may cause some dog breeds to eat their food too quickly, resulting in increased gas levels
Priding itself on using as few ingredients as possible and eliminating all and any unnecessary ingredients, Zignature’s Pork Limited Ingredient Formula Grain-Free Dry Dog Food is certainly one to consider if you own a dog that suffers from food allergies. It’s also available to purchase in three different weights – 4lb, 12.5lb, or 25lb.
- Zignature’s Pork Limited Ingredient Formula Grain-Free Dry Dog Food is a favorite all around. Even the pickiest of pooches wolfed this food down with great satisfaction
- Zignature’s healthy yet straightforward approach to dry dog food reduces gas and improves your dog’s stools, even after the first bag
- The packaging of this food is inconsistent at times. When not properly zip-locked, the food loses its quality quite quickly
Available in a 4lb, 10lb, or 20lb bag, Merrick Backcountry Freeze-Dried Raw Hero’s Banquet Recipe Dry Dog Food successfully combines raw and dry ingredients to produce high-quality food that will benefit every aspect of your dog’s overall health.
- This unique dog food is an excellent option for any picky eaters out there. The combination of freeze-dried raw-coated kibble and freeze-dried raw bites means that even the fussiest eaters find themselves enjoying the variety of tastes, textures, and flavors that this food has to offer
- Thanks to its high omega fatty acids, Merrick Backcountry’s grain-free formula is an ideal option for dogs with sensitive skin allergies
- This food lacks consistency in terms of how much freeze-dried raw product is contained in each individual bag of dog food
What is the Ideal Weight for a Cairn Terrier?
As a member of the Terrier group, Cairns are naturally small dogs. In fact, they’re one of the most miniature breeds in the entire Terrier group.
Given that Cairns were bred with the specific task of going to the ground to route out burrowing animals from farmlands across the Western Scottish Isles, they needed to be petite in stature and quick and light on their paws.
The size and appearance of the Cairn Terrier have changed very little since they first appeared in the United Kingdom in the 17th Century. According to the American Kennel Club, the ideal weight for a Cairn Terrier is 14 pounds for a male and 13 pounds for a female.
But what about their height and length? How big do Cairn Terriers get once they are fully matured? Why not read our most recent article on this very subject to find out.
How Much Should a Cairn Terrier Eat Per Day?
As we mentioned above, Cairn Terriers are only little pooches, so they don’t need a massive amount of food each day to keep them going.
Although every dog differs slightly in terms of their daily diet and nutritional needs, the Association for Pet Obesity Prevention suggests that to maintain your Cairn Terrier’s ideal healthy weight (depending on the sex of your dog), you should aim to feed your dog the following amount of calories per day:
- To maintain a healthy weight of 13 pounds: feed 297 calories daily
- To maintain a healthy weight of 14 pounds: feed 313 calories daily
While Cairn Terriers are pretty low maintenance in terms of how much food they need each day, you must provide them with a well-balanced, high-quality diet.
Because what you feed your Cairn Terrier will impact every single aspect of their all-around health and wellbeing. By feeding your Cairn Terrier good quality dog food, you’ll be providing several crucial benefits to your dog, which include:
1) Increasing their Satiety Levels
This means that your Cairn won’t just feel full after eating, but they’ll also feel satisfied. A good quality dog food should make your dog feel both full and satisfied while consuming fewer calories.
2) Maintaining a Healthy Muscle Tone
By providing high-quality dog food that’s appropriate to the weight, age, and energy levels of your Cairn Terrier, you’ll also be making sure that your pooch gets a much-needed daily source of essential amino acids. Amino acids are found in the protein ingredients of your dog’s food, and they help to keep your Cairn’s organs, tissues, and cells in tip-top condition.
3) Helping to Maintain a Healthy Weight
Just like us humans, if your dog consumes too many fats and carbohydrates, they’ll start to gain weight. Unfortunately, because ingredients that contain higher levels of fat and carbohydrate tend to be cheaper, some dog food brands will pack their food with excess amounts of these ingredients. And when a dog gains weight, it can have a catastrophic impact on their heart, joints, kidneys, liver, and lungs – amongst other things! By providing your Cairn Terrier with a food that’s both good quality and nutritionally well-balanced, you’ll be protecting their longer-term health and wellbeing.
4) Maintaining your Dog’s Energy Levels
Dog food, like human food, is their source of energy. Without food, your dog just wouldn’t be able to function. As your dog’s body digests its food, it slowly produces and releases energy. And when it comes to dog food, there’s a general rule of thumb that’s worth keeping in mind. The better the dog food, the longer it’ll keep your dog going.
5) Keeping your Dog Looking Dapper
That’s right, high-quality dog food is a hugely important factor in helping to maintain a healthy and well-conditioned skin and coat. So, if you want your Cairn Terrier’s coat to look and feel super glossy and shiny, then look no further than their diet.
In fact, when it comes to dogs and their diet – irrespective of their breed – it’s vital that you always provide them with quality over quantity to help keep them fit and healthy.
And our winner of the best dry dog food for Cairn Terriers is…Taste of the Wild High Prairie Grain-Free Dry Dog Food!
This grain-free dry dog food combines the highest quality natural ingredients with key vitamins and powerful antioxidants to support a healthy digestive system, promote muscle strength and maintain a healthy and well-conditioned coat and skin – and all for a very reasonable price!
But that’s not all. While this dog food is an excellent option if you’re looking to manage and maintain a healthy weight for your dog, you can do so while being safe in the knowledge that it still packs a serious punch in terms of flavor. And that means that your pup can enjoy a super tasty diet that also happens to be highly beneficial for its longer-term health and wellbeing.
What more could you ask for in a dry dog food for Cairn Terriers?